I have been a member of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA) since March 2018.
About ASPA (from their website at https://www.aspanet.org/):
ASPA is the leading interdisciplinary public service organization that:
- Advances the art, science, teaching, and practice of public and non-profit administration.
- Promotes the value of joining and elevating the public service profession.
- Builds bridges among all who pursue public purposes at home and internationally.
- Provides networking and professional development opportunities to those committed to public service values.
- Achieves innovative solutions to the challenges of governance.
The American Society for Public Administration is the largest and most prominent professional association for public administration. It is dedicated to advancing the art, science, teaching and practice of public and non-profit administration. ASPA’s four core values are:
- Accountability and Performance
- Ethics and
- Social Equity
We live out these values through a variety of resources available to members throughout the year. More information about each of these appears below and throughout the pages on this site.
Accountability and Performance
ASPA’s Center for Accountability and Performance addresses the requirement for all levels of government to move toward performance-based, results-driven management, through education, training, advocacy, technical assistance, resource sharing and research.
Additionally, ASPA provides three publications for its members:
- PA TIMES is a quarterly magazine focusing on issues in public management and the best practices in the field of public administration. Its twice-weekly online supplement can be viewed at www.patimes.org.
- The Bridge is ASPA’s biweekly newsletter that details the organization’s latest news and current news in the public administration community.
- Public Administration Review (PAR) is ASPA’s premier professional journal. It is a bimonthly publication that links theory and public management practice together.
Ethics and Integrity
ASPA promotes ethics and integrity in public service and governance worldwide. ASPA’s Code of Ethicsexhorts members to adhere to ethical principles while working in the field of public service. Through membership in ASPA’s Section on Ethics and Integrity of Governance, members can access a variety of resources including the leading ethics journal in the field, Public Integrity, and Ethics Today, an award-winning electronic newsletter.
Finally, ASPA promotes dialogue on social equity issues in all areas of public service including public budgeting, government hiring practices, diversity in academia and more. Additionally, each year at the Annual Conference, ASPA hosts the Gloria Hobson Nordin Social Equity Award Luncheon, where it honors a public administrator who has distinguished him or herself in achieving fairness, justice and equity in government.