I finished the course Organic Agriculture offered by the University of the Philippines Open University – Faculty of Management and Development Studies. It spanned from August – December 2016.
About the Course
(from their website at http://fmds.upou.edu.ph/index.php/about-fmds/2-uncategorised/76-organic)
This course is designed to provide participants with the basic knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for implementing and promoting organic agriculture activities and programs. While the main focus is for agricultural technicians, this course will also benefit many other stakeholders interested in organic agriculture. This course will clarify concepts and issues about organic agriculture as well as provide practical techniques and guidelines on implementing organic agriculture projects.
The course aims to produce learners who are able to appreciate, practice and promote organic agriculture.
At the end of the course, the learners are expected to:
- Identify the ecological concepts and current issues in organic agriculture versus conventional farming;
- Demonstrate appropriate organic farming techniques and strategies used in crop and animal production;
- Plan strategies for marketing organic products and organic farm inputs;
- Recognize organic certification standards and procedures;
- Advocate for organic agriculture; and
- Perform and develop skill in simple independent scientific inquiry to instill in them that science based decisions are important and urgent.